Monday, June 25, 2007

Summer Summary (plus Shakespeare)

Well, I had almost decided to take this blog down, seeing as how I do not have a very interesting life, but it seems that one cannot simply cancel these things. So I'll just keep it up a while longer, although my posts will probably only come once in a great while and be long, rambling accounts of why I haven't written in six months.

Nothing very major has happened so far this summer. I am working as an intern at UT but don't really know how that came to be. I'm also in a handbell ensemble and practicing the piano less diligently than I should be.

The highlight of the summer thus far has been the Shakespeare in the Park performance of The Taming of the Shrew. Last year it was Macbeth, which was so good it was scary, and TotS was almost as good. One of the biggest changes they made to the story was setting it in San Antonio, which was funny at times, but overall way too weird. (For example, "Of Mantua, sir? - marry, God forbid! And come to Padua, careless of your life?" became "Of Eagle Pass, sir? marry, God forbid! And come to San Antonio, careless of your life?") All the actors were very good and funny, but Petruchio was brilliant and absolutely hilarious. Poor Kate never had a chance. It's funny that even though I love to read, I always prefer seeing Shakespeare's plays performed instead of reading them.

No comments: